Take part in the Inauguration Instagram photo challenge!
On Saturday, Oct. 12 Instagram users on campus and around the community will be encouraged to share their favorite spots at Yale in the first Yale Instagram Photo Challenge.
Post your photos so that they are publicly visible on Instagram & tag them #InspiringYale to enter the contest. Photos must be taken, tagged #InspiringYale, and posted on Saturday, Oct. 12, during the Open House events between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
The Yale campus has been called one of the most popular American universities on Instagram and BuzzFeed has said it is one of most “scenic college campuses that were made for Instagram,” the popular social media photo sharing platform.
All are invited to join in the celebration of the inauguration of Yale’s 23rd president by participating in the campus-wide open house on Saturday, Oct. 12. As part of the open house festivities, we invite you to share photos in a special Instagram photo challenge to commemorate the occasion.
A team of judges from the Yale Office of Public Affairs and Communications (OPAC) will select winners. The top prizewinner will be announced at the closing gathering of the day on the Cross Campus at 4:30 p.m. Other winners will be determined and notified as soon as possible via comment on their Instagram photos.
OPAC will curate photos from Instagram during the Open House and print selected images for a temporary exhibition on the Cross Campus during the day.
1a. Most inspiring Instagram: the best overall shot taken during the Open House (10 a.m.–4 p.m.) Prize: lunch with President Peter Salovey for the winner and two friends at a mutually agreed upon date this academic year.
1b. Inspiring Instagram: the next best overall shot taken during the Open House (10 a.m.–4 p.m.) Prize: a special tour with Dean Mary Miller of the Ancient Americas gallery at the Yale University Art Gallery, along with lunch for four with Dean Miller, at a mutually agreed upon date this academic year.
2, Top dog Instagram: the best shot from the canine kick-off on the Cross Campus (10 a.m.–10:30 a.m.). Prize: the winner gets to walk Handsome on the sidelines during one of the next three home football games.
3. Best Brains Instagram: the best shot from the Cushing Center brains exhibit tour or other Yale School of Medicine open house activities (10:30 a.m.–2 p.m.). Prize: the winner gets a special, framed Yale University photograph by University Photographer Michael Marsland and their own photograph (portrait or event) taken by the University Photographer.
4. Most festive Fiesta Instagram: the best shot inside at the Yale Peabody Museum’s Fiesta Latina program (10 a.m.–3 p.m.). Prize: the winner gets two tickets to the Yale Repertory Theatre’s spring production of “These Paper Bullets” at a time of their choosing.
5. Top gallery Instagram: the best shot from inside the Yale University Art Gallery, Yale Center for British Art, 32 Edgewood Gallery, Green Hall, or Rudolph Hall (10 a.m.–4 p.m.). Prize: the winner gets dinner for four at Heirloom, seated at the chef’s counter. Executive Chef Carey Savona will make a menu specifically for the winner and will come out, chat, and Instagram the dishes as they are served.
6. Natural vistas Instagram: the best shot from Marsh Botanic Gardens or the Yale Farm (11 a.m.–2 p.m.). Prize: dinner for four at Miya’s Sushi. Chef Bun Lai will make special sushi, locally sourced, in honor of the winner.
7. Most Divine Instagram: best shot of the Divinity School or the Institute of Sacred Music during their open house activities ( 11 a.m.–2 p.m.). Prize: the winner gets to go with University Photographer Michael Marsland on a special photo shoot on top of one of Yale’s towers during this academic year.
8. Top science Instagram: the best shot of one of the engineering or Science Hill events at the Wright Lab, Sterling Chemistry Lab, Kroon Hall, CSSSI, or Becton Center (10 a.m.–2 p.m.): Prize: the winner gets lunch for 6 at Meat & Co., and will be joined by proprietor John Ginnetti to Instagram the occasion.
9. Performing arts Instagram: the best shot of one of the performances on Cross Campus or Becton Plaza during the Open House (taken 10:30 a.m. – 3 p.m.). Prize: the winner gets the design services of the University Printer’s office for a special poster design for their event or organization.
10. Inside the gates Instagram: the best shot from one of the 12 residential colleges or the graduate school during their open houses (2 p.m.–4 p.m.). Prize: the winner gets dinner for four at ROIA. Chef Avi Szapiro and his team will create a locally sourced meal.
Rules for submission
- The contest is open to anyone participating in Yale’s campus-wide open house on Oct. 12, 2013.
- Photographs must be then entrant’s own original work, taken and posted by the entrant during the event.
- Post photos on Instagram and use the hashtag #InspiringYale. Please caption photos with other descriptive details about the location and event.
- Photos must be posted and tagged during the day, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., for contest consideration and must be publicly visible on Instagram.
- By submitting to this contest, you consent to the following:
I grant to Yale University (“Yale”) the right to copy, reproduce, distribute, transmit, broadcast, exhibit, display, edit, or otherwise use my photograph, my name, and biographical information for educational, promotional, or other purposes that support Yale’s mission. I understand that these rights are granted to Yale and may be used in whole or in part without compensation. I affirm that the subjects in my photo have agreed that their likenesses may be used with the terms and conditions of this contest as listed above.