Founders Day Instagram challenge seeks #InspiringYale images on Oct. 7
This year’s Founders Day on Wednesday, Oct. 7 will feature the third annual #InspiringYale Instagram Challenge.
The Yale campus has been called one of the most popular American universities on Instagram, and BuzzFeed has said it is one of most “scenic college campuses that were made for Instagram.”
Instagram users on campus during Founders Day celebrations are encouraged to share some of their favorite spots at Yale. Participants should post their photos so that they are publicly visible on Instagram & tag them #InspiringYale to enter the contest. Photos must be taken, tagged #InspiringYale, and posted on Oct. 7, between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.
A team of judges from the Yale Office of Public Affairs & Communications (OPAC) will select winners. The top prize will be announced the following day on the Yale Instagram page. Other prizewinners will be determined and notified via comment on their Instagram photos.
- Most inspiring Instagram: the best overall shot taken anywhere on the Yale campus on Oct. 7 between 8 a.m.–4 p.m. Prize: lunch with President Peter Salovey for the winner and a friend at a mutually agreed upon date this academic year.
- Best museum Instagram: the best shot from inside the Yale University Art Gallery or Yale Peabody Museum on Founders Day. Prize: dinner for four at Heirloom, seated at the chef’s counter. Executive chef Carey Savona will make a menu specifically for the winner and will come out, chat, and Instagram the dishes as they are served.
- Best open house Instagram: the best shot from a location hosting an open house on Founders Day (i.e., 43 Hillhouse Ave., sacred spaces, Harkness Tower). Prize: Sunday brunch for four at ROIA. Chef Avi Szapiro and his team will create a locally sourced meal.
- Best Yale library Instagram: the best shot (interior or exterior) of Sterling Memorial Library or any other library on campus. Prize: lunch for six at Meat & Co. Proprietor John Ginnetti will Instagram the occasion.
- Best Cross Campus celebration Instagram: the best shot taken during the Founders Day celebration on the Cross Campus at mid-day. Prize: accompany university photographer Michael Marsland on a special photo shoot on top of one of Yale’s towers during this academic year.
- Best from the West Campus: The best shot taken on Yale’s West Campus on Oct. 7, Founders Day, between 8 a.m.- 4 p.m. Prize: the design services of the University Printer’s office for a special poster for their event or organization.
- Most “sustainable” Instagram: The best shot taken on Oct. 7 between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. that highlights sustainability at Yale. (Use #YSustain in addition to #InspiringYale.) Prize: dinner for four at Miya’s sushi. Chef Bun Lai will make special sustainable sushi, locally sourced, in honor of the winner.
- Best Founders Day group shot: the best shot of a group of people taken during Founders Day on campus between 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Prize: a special, framed Yale university photograph by university photographer Michael Marsland, who will also take the winner’s photograph (portrait or event).
Rules for submission
- The contest is open to anyone* participating in Yale’s Founders Day events on Oct. 7.
- Photos must be original and have been taken and posted by the entrant on Founders Day between 8 a.m.- 4 p.m.
- Post photos on Instagram and use the hashtag #InspiringYale. Please caption photos with other descriptive details about the location and event.
- Photos must be posted and tagged during the day, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., for contest consideration and must be publicly visible on Instagram.
- By submitting to this contest, you consent to the following:
I grant to Yale University (“Yale”) the right to copy, reproduce, distribute, transmit, broadcast, exhibit, display, edit, or otherwise use my photograph, my name, and biographical information for educational, promotional, or other purposes that support Yale’s mission. I understand that these rights are granted to Yale and may be used in whole or in part without compensation. I affirm that the subjects in my photo have agreed that their likenesses may be used with the terms and conditions of this contest as listed above.
* Current OPAC employees and interns are not eligible.