Founders Day Instagram challenge seeks #InspiringYale images
This year’s inaugural Founders Day on Oct. 14 will feature the second annual #InspiringYale Instagram Challenge, continuing a tradition established last October during the festivities for Peter Salovey’s inauguration as Yale University’s 23rd president.
Yale’s Instagram (IG) page features posts that showcase the mosaic of campus life and has more than 23,000 followers. Many Yale departments, schools, and groups are also active on the social media platform, and thousands of students, alumni, and staff are IG users. The Yale campus has been called one of the most popular American universities on Instagram. and BuzzFeed has said it is one of most “scenic college campuses that were made for Instagram.”
Instagram users on campus during the Founders Day celebration on Tuesday, Oct. 14 are encouraged to share photos of some of their favorite spots on campus in the second Yale Instagram Photo Challenge. Participants should post their photos so that they are publicly visible on Instagram and tag them #InspiringYale to enter the contest. Photos must be taken, tagged #InspiringYale, and posted on Oct. 14, during the Founders Day events between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m., and they must be publicly visible on Instagram.
A team of judges from the Yale Office of Public Affairs and Communications (OPAC) will select winners. The top prize will be announced the following day on the Yale Instagram page. Other prizewinners will be determined and notified via a comment on their Instagram photos.
- Most inspiring Instagram: the best overall shot taken anywhere on the Yale campus during the Founders Day celebration. Prize: lunch with President Peter Salovey for the winner and a friend at a mutually agreed upon date this academic year.
- Best museum Instagram: the best shot from inside the Yale University Art Gallery, Yale Center for British Art, or Yale Peabody Museum on Founders Day. Prize: dinner for four at Heirloom, seated at the chef’s counter. Executive chef Carey Savona will make a menu specifically for the winner and will come out, chat, and Instagram the dishes as they are served.
- Best open house Instagram: the best shot from a location hosting an open house on Founders Day (i.e., 43 Hillhouse Ave., AYA, LGBTQ Center, sacred spaces, Harkness Tower). Prize: Sunday brunch for four at ROIA. Chef Avi Szapiro and his team will create a special, locally sourced meal.
- Best Yale library Instagram: the best shot (interior or exterior) of Sterling Memorial Library, Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library, or any other library on campus. Prize: lunch for six at Meat & Co. The winner will be joined by proprietor John Ginnetti to Instagram the occasion.
- Best Cross Campus celebration Instagram: the best shot taken during the closing Founders Day celebration on the Cross Campus between 4:30 p.m. and 6 p.m. Prize: an opportunity to accompany university photographer Michael Marsland on a special photo shoot on top of one of Yale’s towers during this academic year.
- Best Founders Day Instagram video: the best IG video taken on campus during the Founders Day celebration. Prize: design services from the University Printer’s office for a special poster design for an event or organization.
- Best landscape Instagram: the best shot taken outdoors on campus during the Founders Day celebration. Prize: dinner for four at Miya’s sushi. Chef Bun Lai will make special sushi, locally sourced, in honor of the winner.
- Best Founders Day Selfie: the best selfie taken on campus during the Founders Day celebration. Prize: a special, framed Yale University photograph by university photographer Michael Marsland, who will also take a photo of the winner’s choosing (portrait or event).
Rules for submission
- The contest is open to anyone participating in Yale’s Founders Day events on Oct. 14, 2014.
- Photos must be original and have been taken on campus and posted by the entrant during Founders Day between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m.
- Post photos on Instagram and use the hashtag #InspiringYale. Please caption photos with other descriptive details about the location and event.
- Photos must be posted and tagged during the day, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., for contest consideration and must be publicly visible on Instagram.
- By submitting to this contest, you consent to the following:
I grant to Yale University (“Yale”) the right to copy, reproduce, distribute, transmit, broadcast, exhibit, display, edit, or otherwise use my photograph, my name, and biographical information for educational, promotional, or other purposes that support Yale’s mission. I understand that these rights are granted to Yale and may be used in whole or in part without compensation. I affirm that the subjects in my photo have agreed that their likenesses may be used with the terms and conditions of this contest as listed above.