Center for Science and Social Science Information to open on Science Hill
When students and faculty return to campus in January after winter break, they will discover a new place atop Science Hill where they can do research, study, and hang out.
The new Center for Science and Social Science Information (CSSSI) is scheduled to open on Jan. 3. A collaboration between the University Library and ITS, the center will incorporate the services and facilities of the Science Library, the Social Science Library, and the ITS StatLab.
CSSSI will be housed in a fully renovated space on the concourse level of the Kline Biology Tower, 219 Prospect St.
“For many of our students and faculty, library resources and technology are closely intertwined in their academic work practices. CSSSI provides an opportunity to now explore how the Yale Library and ITS can integrate their services to offer expanded and comprehensive information services to the Yale community,” noted University Librarian Susan Gibbons.
CSSSI will house state-of-the-art information services in a technology-rich environment, customized to meet the evolving needs of education and research.
The center will offer an array of resources to support students, faculty, and researchers, including:
- Public Macintosh and PC workstations equipped with comprehensive software suites, coupled with high-level technology assistance for specialized media and technologies, and end-user IT support
- Group study and presentation preparation rooms, equipped with video recording capabilities, and writeable surfaces
- A new StatLab computer classroom with dual display workstations, and new collaborative technologies
- A 180,000-volume, on-site print collection, and expert support for text-based materials, as well as an extensive and growing electronic information collection
- Librarian subject specialists to serve the breadth of science and social science disciplines
- Extended hours on evenings, weekends, and peak study periods to provide new and improved technology and study facilities
- Document and book delivery services, scan-on-demand, and delivery of print materials to faculty offices
Last June, the Kline Science Library relocated to 140 Prospect St. — the current site of the Social Science Library — during the renovation of Kline Biology Tower. The library and StatLab will close on Friday, Dec. 16, when the move begins to the new CSSSI space. The 140 Prospect St. building is scheduled for demolition next year, to make way for the two new residential colleges.
There will be an open house for the Yale community at the center 4-6 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 11.