Yale To Give Free Tours of Two Music Facilities on April 18
Yale University will open two buildings central to its music programs, Gustave Stoeckel Hall and Albert Arnold Sprague Memorial Hall, to the public on April 18 at 2 p.m. for a tour that will highlight recent architectural renovations and enhancements.
Both buildings are located across the street from one another at the intersection of College and Wall streets.
Stoeckel, currently home to the Music Department, was built in 1897 as a residence for members of Chi Phi fraternity. The only Venetian Gothic structure on campus, it was named in honor of music professor Gustave Stoeckel in 1954 when the University, which had purchased it in 1935, converted it for use by the Yale School of Music.
In 2008, Stoeckel Hall underwent extensive renovations to repair structural damage and aging facilities, add new equipment, and soundproof walls, doors and hallways. Its distinctive, ornate terra cotta façade was meticulously restored. An addition was constructed to accommodate new lecture and seminar rooms. Reopened in January 2009, the building now houses administrative and faculty offices for the Music Department on the first, second and third floors; graduate student study areas and a rehearsal room on the lower level; and a computer/technology suite on the fourth floor.
Sprague Hall, built in 1917, was rededicated in 2003 after a two-year renovation that restored the building’s original beauty and acoustics while adding modern amenities like air conditioning; sophisticated stage lighting; acoustical panels that allow for adjustments to a performer’s sound; blackout shades; sound-proof doors and windows to keep out street noise; new dressing rooms; and backstage space, as well as a reception room overlooking College Street. Digital recording equipment was installed, which effectively makes Morse Recital Hall, within Sprague, a large sound studio.
The tour will take approximately one hour and will include live music.
The Yale University campus has more than 250 buildings, designed and constructed over the course of two-and-a-half centuries. About half of these were originally built for other users, but after being acquired by the University, have been carefully restored, updated and repurposed. In addition to the special historic preservation tour on April 18, the Visitor Center offers free tours 352 days a year: weekdays at 10:30 a.m. and 2 p.m.; and weekends at 1:30 p.m.
For more information, see www.buildings.yale.edu.