Open House at Yale Visitor Center, December 4
Yale University will open the historic Mead Visitor Center, 149 Elm St., to the public on December 4, 5–7:30 p.m. for tours and light refreshments.
The Open House is being held in conjunction with the City of New Haven’s holiday festivities on the nearby New Haven Green. Visitors are welcome to stop by before or after the tree lighting.
Richard Wies, a partner in Gregg, Wies & Gardner Architects, will give a brief talk at 6:15 p.m., describing how his firm restored the building to its original appearance while updating its functionality.
The Mead Visitor Center is a significant architectural landmark in New Haven. Originally built for James Pierpont and his family in 1767, it is considered the oldest surviving private residence in the city. The University acquired the property in 1921 and used it at first as a faculty club and then as the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, before turning it into the Visitor Center in 1995.
Yale has a long history of architectural stewardship. More than 250 buildings, designed and constructed over three centuries, form the current campus. Like the Mead Visitor Center, about half of them were originally built for other purposes, but after being acquired by the University, have been meticulously restored, updated, and dedicated to the needs of an institution of higher education.
For more information about Yale’s landmark buildings, old and new, go to http://buildings.yale.edu.