Yale College Welcomes Class of 2010

The 1,318 members of the Yale College Class of 2010, chosen from among 21,101 applicants, were welcomed to campus today.

There are 660 men and 658 women among the freshmen, who represent all 50 states and 50 foreign countries. Almost one-third (31.1 percent) of those from the U.S. identify themselves as students of color. Students from outside the United States make up 10.6 percent of the class.

The number of applicants was the highest in Yale’s history and the admission rate of 8.9 percent was the lowest. More than 70 percent of those who were offered admission chose to come to Yale.

More than half the freshmen (54.4 percent) attended public high schools. The remaining 45.6 percent went to independent, religious or foreign schools. The median SAT verbal score for entering students was 750 and the median math score was 740.

Financial aid from Yale has been extended to 41.8 percent of the freshmen. The average annual scholarship grant from Yale to these students is $26,000. This need-based financial aid from Yale is in addition to aid students may be receiving from other sources.

Some of the incoming students participated in pre-orientation activities prior to the opening of the dormitories this week. These programs are Freshman Outdoor Orientation Trips (FOOT), Cultural Connections (CC), FreshPerson Conference (FPC) and Orientation for International Students (OIS).

FOOT consists of backpacking trips in the mountains of New York and along the Appalachian Trail. Freshmen of all backgrounds and levels of hiking participate. CC introduces freshmen to Yale’s cultural resources, emphasizing the experiences of students of color and issues related to racial identity. FPC, organized by undergraduates and sponsored by the Chaplain’s Office, takes place at a camp in Connecticut and includes panels on college life, performances by student groups, campfires and get-acquainted activities. OIS is designed to ease the transition to the United States for international students and to familiarize them with life at Yale.

Among the students in the Class of The Class of 2010 are:

  • A sheep farmer from Oklahoma
  • The current junior world champion in the pursuit of designing, building and flying model airplanes
  • The compiler of a book with the works of female prison inmates to whom she teaches writing
  • The top high school debater in the country
  • A high school student body president and three-sport team captain who emigrated from Korea five years ago with no knowledge of English

Yale University President Richard C. Levin and Yale College Dean Peter Salovey will formally welcome the new students at the Freshman Assembly in Woolsey Hall at 10 a.m. on Saturday, September 2.

Share this with Facebook Share this with Twitter Share this with LinkedIn Share this with Email Print this

Media Contact

Dorie Baker: dorie.baker@yale.edu, 203-432-1345