Yale To Dedicate Class of '54 Environmental Science Center

Yale University will dedicate the Class of 1954 Environmental Science Center, an interdisciplinary facility for the environmental sciences, on Friday, October 26, at 4 p.m.

Tours of laboratories in the new facility, located at 21 Sachem Street adjacent to the Peabody Museum of Natural History, will be conducted from 2:30 p.m. until 4 p.m.

Yale President Richard C. Levin and Provost Alison F. Richard will deliver remarks. Peabody Museum Director Richard L. Burger, Karl K. Turekian, director of the Yale Institute for Biospheric Studies, and James Gustave Speth, Jr., dean of the School of Forestry and Environmental Studies, will speak at the dedication.

The Class of 1954 Environmental Science Center will encourage collaboration among faculty and students pursuing environmental studies, while placing the resources of the Peabody Museum at their fingertips. The Center houses laboratories, offices and curatorial spaces for the Yale Institute for Biospheric Studies, the School of Forestry and Environmental Studies and the Peabody Museum of Natural History. The Departments of Geology and Geophysics, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology and Anthropology will also have a research presence in the facility.

The new building is part of a $500 million investment by Yale in its science facilities and programs. The building is named for the Yale College Class of 1954, which donated $70 million to the University in 2000, including $25 million for the Environmental Science Center.

Share this with Facebook Share this with Twitter Share this with LinkedIn Share this with Email Print this

Media Contact

Karen N. Peart: karen.peart@yale.edu, 203-432-1326