Yale and City Launch Management Training Institute
Yale University and the city of New Haven have launched a joint effort to enhance leadership and management skills of city and University managers.
Twelve managers from Yale and 14 from the city will attend five workshops held on campus and led by experts from the city and the University’s faculty, staff and alumni. Managers representing police, fire, human resources, public works and parks and recreation departments are participating.
Each session will involve issues affecting both the city and Yale and offer state-of-the-art information on management skills and effective techniques, a “hands-on” understanding of how to apply the skills and techniques, and detailed job aids, check lists, decision tables and reference materials to use on the job.
The sessions, which will be conducted on Friday’s from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., are as follows:
– “Making for Leaders” taught by Victor H. Vroom, Ph.D., Yale’s John G. Searle professor of organization and management, held on September 24 at Yale Golf Course Club House;
– “Learning Styles and Leadership” taught by Lisa Berlinger, Ph.D., director of the Program on Non-Profit Organizations at Yale, on October 1 at Luce Hall, Room 202;
– “Leadership Through Communication” taught by Donald E. Gibson, Ph.D., assistant professor at the Yale School of Management, on October 8 at Luce Hall, Room 202;
– “Leaders Drive Change with Results” taught by Suzanne Francis, a senior partner in the management consulting firm of Robert H. Schaffer and Associates, on October 15 at Luce Hall, Room 202;
– and “Care Analysis Roundtable” taught by Laura Freebairn-Smith, director of Yale’s Organizational Development and Learning Center, and Tina Burgett, director of human resources for the city, on October 22 at Luce Hall, Room 202.
At the end of the program, participants will receive a certificate of completion. Graduation ceremonies hosted by Richard C. Levin, president of Yale University, and John DeStefano Jr., mayor of New Haven, are slated for October 29 from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at a location to be announced.
*or Susan Etkind, City of New Haven, 203/946-7676